Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Blog Post 19, Part II (Justin) - Only the Meaningful

In selecting quotes for this blog post, I started a Word doc split into three categories: "True," "Meaningful," and "Both." However, I soon discovered that all of my quotes were falling under "Meaningful" - I could not bring myself to trust in the label "True." Thus, I present to you the following list of MEANINGFUL quotes!


MING – “If performances ‘mean’ more to experienced viewers, ‘meaning’ necessitates narrative; the narrative here (and perhaps anywhere) is a series of ghosts—though whether it's a person, a dance move, a musical score, or something else is a question of the mind of the viewer.”

JENNIFER – “I tried not to impose a narrative on the piece, but the use of a prop (a flower-girl’s basket of petals) and symbolic costuming appealed too much to the latent lit scholar in me; I ended up reading Evans’ work as one in which the performers wracked their bodies against a female-enforced patriarchy.”

COURTNEY - "Decentering the significance of the dancers’ skills and physical virtuosity, Taylor choreographs a dance that is about movement itself and the beauty of “everyday” movements."

COURTNEY (in relation to “Esplanade”) – “In this piece dance is about the many different ways a body can move and interact with other bodies more than it is about each particular dancer’s virtuosity.”

JESS – “When I see dance, there is a part of me that yearns to do what they do, because to me, dance is almost more important to the performer than the observer.”

SARA – “I was particularly struck by the irreverence of the movement in contrast to the motivic structure of Johann Sebastian Bach's Concerto in D minor for Two Violins.”

No comments: