Sunday, November 11, 2012

Election Post (Courtney)










The actual process of voting is an interesting and important part of the election day process, but in my own experience (probably because I've never had personal issues with lines or voter suppression) the real focus of my election day is on the evening and into the night. This is where the competitive atmosphere comes in and the process of watching each state turn red or blue and the tallying of electoral votes feels like a high-stakes sporting match. Because I don't have a television my election night was computer based--watching different websites, live internet video, and social media. The above selection is a random sampling of websites and images from this most recent election day. 

This is why, for my curation of these materials, I would be interested in a selection of websites, articles, videos, etc. to be displayed inside a museum. Thinking of the kind of visualized mapping that we saw at the advanced visualizaiton lab, I would want to present a broad selection of websites containing materials related to the election. Were it possible (money being no object) I would want to organize this information around a couple of different defining factors

1. Visitor traffic: What are the demographics of those that view this material? (Age, location, party affiliation, etc.)
2. Website sponsorship: Who owns and funds the website?
3. Links to Social Media: Where is this information being shared and by whom?

Organizing this information around these three factors would be an interesting and informative way to curate a show. 

No comments: