Tuesday, November 6, 2012

19.2 Dancing with Dancers Dancing. [Lusk]

These are phrases or opinions or sentences that ringed most truthful to me. Not necessarily most truthful to the experience that I had in the concert, but truthful in the sense that I understood what the writer was attempting to communicate to me on their experience.

"If performances "mean" more to experienced viewers, “meaning” necessitates narrative; the narrative here (and perhaps anywhere) is a series of ghosts—though whether it's a person, a dance move, a musical score, or something else is a question of the mind of the viewer." Ming

"I tried not to impose a narrative on the piece, but the use of a prop (a flower-girl’s basket of petals) and symbolic costuming appealed too much to the latent lit scholar in me; I ended up reading Evans’ work as one in which the performers wracked their bodies against a female-enforced patriarchy." [On William Evans' Rites of Summer] Jennifer

"...I noticed that I kept trying to piece together a narrative, even in the absence of one." Jess

"As such, while watching dance as a non-expert, I would need either to reach this moment of narrative surrender much more quickly by virtue of the performance’s transience or to abandon the quest for narrative interpretation at the onset.  And yet, I’m not sure if giving up the quest for narrative is really worth it." Cody

"But there was a point in "Esplanade" when one of the dancers went running across the stage on a diagonal, with an enormous smile on her face. I burst out laughing, and immediately covered my mouth, embarrassed. It was okay to make quiet, appreciative noises, during an especially impressive physical feat, but I felt that laughter would in some way ruin the moment." Iris

"
For me, the highlight of the night was "Straight Duet," both for the acrobatics of the two performers and for the inherent storyline that I put over their movements. It was a simple story, to be sure, but the dancers created some beautiful images through which I was constantly interpreting and reinterpreting the story." Iris


No comments: