Wednesday, November 7, 2012

19.2 (Iris)

True:
Dorothy:  Women convulsing on the floor, epileptic mayhem and then the constant tacit play of the symbolic red petals.
Jenna:  The presence of the functionaries divided the audience into insiders and outsiders, those who attended the gala for celebratory purposes and those who simply came to view a performance
.
Meaningful:
Dorothy: Modern dance often makes use of symbolic gestures culled from different cultures and time periods and those repetitive motions seem as if they must be trying to tell me something.
Whitney:  As a starting point, this piece seemed to fit uncomfortably in the evening’s program and perhaps some of my initial attraction to it comes from its misfit status. Additionally, some strongly negative responses from my peers to this piece have shaped my thoughts for this review around the question of why I had such a positive reaction to it.

Both:
Sara:  An esplanade is a large outdoor place for walking and indeed Taylor’s choreography is pedestrian in the sense that it refuses the formal, prescribed gestures of classical dance while still capturing the exuberant poetry-in-motion of the everyday joys of being out and about in the air.
Andrea: At their best moments, these dances conveyed a kind of exuberance in movement that I somehow experienced with them.
Jess: Every time I see feats of physical prowess and athletic ability, I feel a kinesthetic response that I place somewhere in the area of longing.

No comments: