Monday, November 5, 2012

85th Dance Gala or Let's have a Kiki! [Lusk]


I’m not a dance person. I’m often the last to dance at parties and it is often after several drinks. I, also, don’t respond to dance very well. I’ve been to dance concerts and friend’s ballets and I’ve tried to get it, but I just can’t. And the 85th Gala was no different. So, the task of writing a review on this will be interesting. But how can I review something that I feel I don’t understand? Or do I understand it, just not respond to it? What don’t I understand? These are the questions that I was having throughout the concert: Is there a narrative? Why are the girls in dresses and the boys in pants? Why is that one girl in pants? Why are the pairings only boy/girl I was hung up on what the dance was NOT rather than what it was. I reset my thinking after and tired to really focus on what I responded to during the concert. And I kept coming back to the moments when the dancers bodies no longer resembled bodies. There were definite moments when I felt the dancers celebrated their bodies and lengthened their legs and balanced and yes, it was beautiful. But the moments I loved were the moments, like in the first dance, when the dancers came on crawling on all fours in a grotesque way, an evil way. And they formed that circle that rotated until the lights dimmed. That was the ONLY point in the concert where I thought to myself YES! YES! This is what I want to see! Keep going! But they returned to the impressive movements that I sort of just… rolled my eyes at. Why is that? Why do I respond to that? Perhaps there is this joy I find in bodies that celebrate how ugly/disturbing they can become rather than pleasing to the eye. 

No comments: